Thursday, August 14, 2008

For when I am weak, then I am strong

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:9 -10

After reading this section of Paul's letter to the Corinthians, I began to think about my prayers. When times are tough I tend to ask “Lord, strengthen me so that I can overcome my (light and momentary) troubles”. Whilst this in itself isn’t wrong, my prayer must be preceded by “Lord, show me how weak and frail I am”. Only when I know the extent of my own weakness can I know God’s grace and know that it is sufficient in itself. Only then do I stop trying to rely on myself and instead rely on God, who raises the dead (cf. 2 Corinthians 1:9). Paul recognises his weaknesses and he delights in them because through them God's power is displayed.

So next time I’m praying for difficult situations, my perspective will be changed. Rather than asking for strength to overcome, I will pray “Lord, show me how weak I am, so that your power rests on me." And I will pray the same for my brothers and sisters in Christ.

No comments: