Saturday, August 16, 2008

Boast in the Lord

But, "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord." For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.
2 Corinthians 10:17-18

I find it difficult to boast. My British upbringing has left me favouring a self-effacing facade. I tend to be shy about my achievements and try to avoid drawing attention. However, when it comes to boasting of God, I would do well to throw my Britishness out of the window. For God delights in me when I tell of my salvation through Christ, and when I boast of his great goodness and righteousness. "Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God!" (Revelation 19:1)

This is what the LORD says:
"Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom
or the strong man boast of his strength
or the rich man boast of his riches,
but let him who boasts boast about this:
that he understands and knows me,
that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness,
justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,"
declares the LORD.
Jeremiah 9:23-24

4 comments:

Cat P said...

Great thought! Although... does your Britishness really hinder you boasting about others? I've heard you talking about how great Darrell is, how patient he is, what a good listener he is, etc. So does your Britishness make you more reserved about that? Or was that not very British of you? :)

Darrell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darrell said...

Hello Cat!
I think a great British trait is not to boast about one-self but to boast about others. Where God fits in there, I do not know; I have to say I am surprised that you say Lisa boasts about all those things about me! But then, come to think of it, if we take boasting loosely (I suspect British and Australians (and Singaporeans) have quite different definitions of "boast")), Lisa's 'boasting' of others is always so positive and from my perspective, mostly encouraging - yes, including you Cat :)

Darrell said...

no 'edit comment' after posting?... :(